Dental fillings can repair teeth that have been compromised by mild to moderate tooth decay. For decades, amalgam has been used to strengthen and protect weakened teeth. Amalgam restorations are durable and long lasting, and they provide an affordable alternative to composite resin fillings. With proper care, amalgam fillings can last up to 15 years.
What Are Cavities?
Each tooth is made up of several layers: the enamel, dentin, and inner pulp chamber. Although enamel is the hardest tissue in the body, it is not invincible. Acid from plaque can erode enamel, and over time, small holes can develop. These are otherwise known as cavities.
Types of Cavities
Who Can Develop Cavities?
- Ongoing dental sensitivity or pain
- Discomfort when consuming hot or cold items
- Visible holes on the surface of teeth
- Areas of discoloration
Amalgam Fillings: The Basics
Amalgam fillings are more durable than composite material, but they are also more visible.
The Treatment Process
Advantages and Disadvantages of Amalgam
- Does not blend with natural enamel
- Can cause the tooth to appear darker or gray
- Does not bond as tightly to the tooth as composite resin
- Can expand and contract under drastic temperature changes
- Requires more tooth preparation and a larger amount of enamel removal
- Can cause health concerns for patients with metal allergies
- American College of Prosthodontics (ACP)
- Academy of Osseointegration (AO)
- International Team for Implantology (ITI)
Visit Our Top-Rated Office
Are you looking for a dental practice you can trust to provide high-quality care? Our office is regularly rated five stars for the professional and friendly care we provide to our patients. To meet with one of our dentists and start your dental crown process, fill out our online form to request your consultation. You can also contact us by calling our office, serving Cary and Raleigh, NC, at: